Sunday 24 April 2016

Evaluation

Gothic Horror Part 1: Creating a character for Continuity.

This brief has been both interesting and challenging and I have learned many valuable lessons. I loved reading my chosen Novel ‘The picture of Dorian Gray’ by Oscar Wilde. I felt deeply connected to this book and was truly inspired by his story. After initially going beyond the brief with my first design of my chosen character Dorian Gray, I decided to strip it back and keep to the true essence of who Dorian was and how he was known. He was young and beautiful and I wanted to capture that with my model. I found this a great opportunity to challenge my natural style and step out of my comfort zone.
I was faced with a number of challenges with this project. I initially found my design quite challenging and had to do a lot of research to be able to make my design with my model fit the period. After over coming these obstacles I was then faced with another, my model Ben fell ill the day before completing the second half of the continuity assessment. I had to think on my feet and had a day to find another model, which ended up being my sister and then alter my design to fit her. I then had to start again and complete two assessments in one day. I was very proud of myself. This happens a lot in the industry and I learned how to think on my feet and problem solve. I felt I handled this really well and managed to complete the timed assessment to a high standard.

Gothic Horror Part 2: Creating 2 characters for a T.V series.

I was really excited to start the second part of this project. I new it was a more creative second half so was excited to get started. I chose True blood for my T.V show, as this was the only show out of the list I have watched and liked. I found that I was inspired when creating the characters specifically but that the subject sometimes was not one that I enjoyed. I scare easily and don’t particularly manage gore and horror very well. I do, however really love True Blood so was excited to create characters for this TV series.  I chose Claudia and Quentin for my characters. I had already chosen my sister to model Claudia for me, and her boyfriend Ben to model Quentin, so I knew there chemistry would carry through to the camera and create some great images. I really focused on the Louisiana culture and Myths and folklore as inspiration for my characters. The culture is so diverse but distinctive and plays a huge role in the backdrop to True Blood. It was really important for me to pull this into my design so that it was identifiable. True Blood has a wide range of characters and stories that I found it easy to find a place for my characters. I’m really pleased with the outcome of my designs and feel that I successfully created characters that fit, not only within the brief but within my chosen T.V shows too.




No comments:

Post a Comment